When my husband introduced me to Mojo (pronounced Mo Ho), he was all about the pork—and his side of choice, black beans and rice. This cabbage slaw is all about the Mojo. It’s perfect with other things that are all about Mojo, like Mojo-marinated pork loin or its vegan cousin, Mojo-marinated portabello. For the slaw, if I’m making this garlicky marinade from scratch, I use extra virgin olive oil and cut back the garlic just a tad. It’s perfectly good in the original form, too.Jump to Recipe
Exploring Cabbage Options
Ever since dear, sweet husband brought home a head of cabbage, and I made Cabbage Sriracha, he’s been happy to try my next invention or discovery. What I love about this particular slaw is that it gives me something to do with the half a head of cabbage left over from making Royal Cabbage Slaw. And it looks so festive,—orange ribbons in a sea of purple dotted with red, white and green exclamation points of radish and cilantro.
About Mojo Cabbage Slaw
The slaw is great as a side and substantial enough for a heavy snack or light lunch on its own. There are a surprising number of Mojo Cabbage Slaw recipes to be had with a google search. My version uses veggies I normally have on hand for other slaws and salads and adds zest to my Mojo recipe. I tried the slaw with and without zest, and I can’t overstate that the zest is the secret ingredient that completes the slaw. Use fresh zest if you can.
Mojo Cabbage Slaw is low sodium if you reduce the salt. It’s vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and delicious. Get your Mojo back with Cuban cuisine. Enjoy!
“Veganism is not a ‘sacrifice.’ It is a joy.”― Gary L. Francione
Mojo Cabbage Slaw
- ½ head red cabbage shredded (about 6 to 7 cups)
- ½ C fresh cilantro chopped
- ¼ C radish chopped matchstick thin
- 1 carrot sliced thin, using peeler
- ½ tsp orange zest
- ½ tsp lime zest
- Shred red cabbage and carrot and set aside.
- Chop fresh cilantro and radish and set aside.
- Zest lime and orange and add to Mojo.
- In large bowl, add cabbage, carrots, radish, and cilantro.
- Pour Mojo dressing over vegetables and toss all ingredients until well covered.
- Best when chilled for at least an hour before serving.