Take advantage of a really cheap source of protein by trading out cans for dried beans. If you have an instant pot, it's even easier--and faster.
- 4 C dried beans
- 9 C water
- 8 C water keep more at the ready to keep water above the beans
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning optional
Sort through the dried beans: this means removing any pieces of dirt or broken bean bits from the beans you will cook. Rinse thoroughly and place beans in a large bowl.
Add 9 cups water and soak overnight (4 to 8 hours). INSTANT POT: you can choose to skip this step if desired.
Drain and rinse beans.
Place 8 C water in a large stock pot and add Italian seasoning. Bring water to a boil and add the beans. Lower heat and cook on a low boil, stirring occasionally, about 90 minutes. (Beans should be firm enough to hold shape but soft enough to easily mash.)
INSTANT POT: follow manufacturer's instructions for type of bean, based on whether you soaked them or not.
To reserve bean stock, strain into bowl. (Transfer to ice cube trays for easy storage.)
Place beans in strainer and rinse well.
- Don't add salt while you cook the beans. It may (or may not) make them tough. It's okay to infuse the cooking water with other spices and seasonings, such as basil, garlic, or a pepper variety.
- Depending upon bean variety, you may get yields as high as 11 cups. You will want to limit the amount of beans if you use an Instant Pot.
- I have used this cooking method successfully with black beans, pinto beans and Great Northern beans.
- I check my beans every 20 to 30 minutes and remove them when done. Follow the directions provided by the brand for each bean variety to be safe.
- If freezing, place in freezer safe containers and store. If you choose to store beans in freezer bags, be sure to push out as much air as possible.
- To store bean stock, pour into ice cube trays and let freeze. When frozen, store ice cubes in freezer container or bag. Label contents and date. Keeps about 3 months.
- Retain black bean juice for black beans and rice; retain chickpea juice(aquafaba) as an egg substitute or for a vegan whipped cream.
Instant Pot Time Table
Season and serve as a side or use in dishes such as chilis, casseroles and soups. Mash up, season as desired and use as a spread or dip.