Fish tacos are fun and tasty handheld food. This version isn’t exactly authentic, but it’s a nice centerpiece for a Mexican meal.
- 4 pieces white fish fillet abt 1 to 1.5 lb
- ¼ C clarified butter
- 1 TBSP onion
- ½ to 1 tsp salt to taste
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cilantro
- ½ tsp basil
- 2 TBSP lemon or lime juice about ½ lime or lemon
- 1 C Royal Cabbage Slaw see link below
- ½ Red onion finely sliced
- ½ C Knock-out Guacamole more to taste
- 4 flour tortillas soft taco style
- Cotija cheese powdered
- lemon or lime wedges
- chopped and whole sprigs of fresh cilantro for garnish
If using Royal Slaw, finely slice red onion.
If not using Royal Slaw or other pre-prepared Baja style slaw: finely slice onion and dice radish. Finely slice desired filling (cabbage or lettuce).
Set filling aside.
Heat pan on medium. Add clarified butter.
Sprinkle seasonings on fish and pan fry until outer edge begins to turn solid white.
Turn and cook on other side until internal temperature reaches recommended temperature (generally, 145° F). The meat should appear opaque and flake away from a fork easily.
Remove from heat.
Use ¼ of each ingredient for each taco. Make tortillas ahead or use store-bought.
Spread guacamole on one side of tortilla.
Add slaw in center of taco, then place fish meat on top of slaw bed.
Place a few red onion slices on top and squeeze lime or lemon over taco.
If desired, sprinkle some cotija powdered cheese and cilantro garnish on taco.
Serve warm. Add lemon or lime wedges and cilantro sprig to plate for garnish if desired.
Serve with desired combination of Mexican Rice, street corn, or refried beans along with tortilla chips, guacamole and salsa.
- If you don’t want to make slaw, buy a pre-made Baja style or finely slice cabbage or lettuce and add radish bits
- This recipe also works well with grilled fish.
Serving: 1tacoSodium: 546mgCalcium: 59mgVitamin C: 3mgVitamin A: 25IUSugar: 2gFiber: 1gPotassium: 88mgCholesterol: 33mgCalories: 210kcalMonounsaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 8gFat: 14gProtein: 3gCarbohydrates: 18gIron: 1mg