Red Beans & Rice
Red Beans & Rice, twice as nice with a vegan and non-vegetarian version. A classic cajun dish with a little twist.
- 1 lb red beans cooked (about 3 to 4 C)
- 1 lb Andouille sausage (12-16 oz. will work) for vegan use plant-based
- 1 large onion
- ¼ C Worcestershire for vegan version, use ½ C vegan Worcestershire (see link below)
- ½ C water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 bay leaves
Chop the onions.
Place beans in slow cooker and mash against sides. Leave about 1/4 or so whole.
Add remaining ingredients.
Cook on high for 2 hours or on low for at least 4 hours
Serve over rice with a side of bread, biscuit or corn muffin. Would be good with corn on the cob and cooked greens.
- Light or dark red beans will work. (Light red beans are pictured.)
- For non-vegetarian version, if you cannot find Andouille sausage, a Polish sausage link will work. The taste will be a little different.
- For vegan version, you can use plant-based Italian sausage if you cannot locate Andouille version. Tofurkey carries it, but it is not available in all markets.
- If serving with rice, preparing about 2 cups of uncooked rice will be sufficient.